I was at Walmart early one morning [note-to-self 6:45 a.m. is the BEST time to go to Walmart--no crowds or aisles blocked due to stocking], checking out, realizing I may have some obsessive-compulsive tendencies as I strategically placed my items on the conveyor belt to be scanned and then placed in their respective plastic grocery sacks in such a way that the "fridge" items/toiletries/boxed-goods, etc. would 'go together'. But as I greeted my checker with a friendly hello and asked how her day was going, she commented on my scrubs (I had come straight from work) she mentioned that she had been a nurse....*whoa* back the train up! she 'used to be a nurse' why the heck is she now a checker at Walmart? I frantically asked myself this question in my head hoping my utter surprise and shock was not as apparent on my face as I felt it might be. I had just gotten off a 12-hour shift and sleep-deprivation does not necessarily boost the tact factor ;)
I never did ask, or find out, why the checker was now in her current place of employment, but the entire encounter made me reflect and feel extremely grateful for the education I received and the Bachelor's degree I had earned and that because of said degree I was able to have a successful career that provides a decent income for my family and our financial goals. Not that the woman that helped me that morning in Walmart was not fulfilling her own life-long dream, to each their own, but today I am so very grateful for the chance I had to go to college and earn a degree!




No comments:
Post a Comment